Frequently Asked Questions

Victor, Paul and David at the TLC talent show.

Victor, Paul, and David singing their hearts out.


Frequent Asked Questions

Q. Can I get Supported Living Services for my 16 year old child?

A. No your child must be 18 years of age to live in SLS. In some cases a waiver can be obtained but this is only in very specific circumstances. 

Q. Can I sign up to receive Supported Living Services from your agency?

A. Tailored Living Choices must have a REFERRAL from the Regional Center before they can provide any services.

Q. How do I get a referral?

A. Make an appointment with your Regional Center Case Manager and discuss your desire to reside in a Supported Living Arrangement. An Addendum to your IPP will be the next step in this process.

Q. When I move from one geographic area to another what happens with my SSI benefits and Medi-Cal?

A. Security must be notified as your benefits may change, for example: Did you live in a group home setting, did you live with family members, or were you discharged from a hospital setting. The prior living arrangements will determine if your income will increase or decrease. Your Medi-cal will switch counties and you will need to find a primary care physician in your new area.

Q. How will I pay for my living arrangement and services?

A. SSI income will pay for rent, food, utilities, and personal needs. Your services will be funded through the Regional Center and In Home Support Services also known as (IHSS).

Q. What is IHSS?

A. In Home Support Services is a State Funded program that assists people to live in their own homes. After you move into your new residence an assessment will be requested on your behalf.

Q. What’s an assessment and how is this done?

A. After an intake interview you will be assigned a Social Worker from the County who will make an appointment with you to come to your home. During their visit they will ask many questions to assist them is assessing your needs. After the interview your Social Worker will have a variety of papers for you to review and sign and may request additional information from your doctor before the case is completed. 

Q. Once I move into my home will there be menu’s posted on the wall?

A. In Supported living you can plan your own menu’s.

Q. What if I don’t like one of my caregivers?

A. In Supported living you may interview your staff or we will do that for you if you aren’t able to.

Q. What if I have a friend that I have chosen as a caregiver?

A. We will consider your request but all employees must meet the agency guidelines such as: cleared through background checks, Live Scan, and have a valid driver’s license and insurance. 

Q. What exactly does that SLS agency provide?

A. General provisions (Title 17 of the California Code of Regulations which describes the following services:

  • Assessment of the clients needs
  • Help to find, modify, and maintain a home
  • Support and train in social, behavioral, and daily living skills
  • Help to develop employment goals
  • Provide 24 hour emergency response systems
  • Recruit, hire, and train individuals to provide direct services
  • Facilitate circles of support to develop unpaid and natural supports in the community
  • Advocate for individuals and facilitate self advocacy